and welcome to
The 7th Annual Van Schooneveld Christmas Quiz
It's here again! The much anticipated, often copied, but never duplicated Van Schooneveld Christmas Quiz. We feel like we haven't done much other than sit on the couch, hug and kiss Alexandra and take 7 billion videos of her. But as we look back, it's been a pretty full year. Take our quiz to find out if you're a Omnipresent Old Friend, a Sometimes Sally, or if you've been AWOL from our lives. And if you just can't get enough of us, check out some of our previous quizzes: 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008.
1. This June, our home was how close to the most destructive wildfire in Colorado's history?
a. 750 feet
b. 950 feet
c. 1,100 feet
d. 1,300 feet
2. In March, Amber had her third surgery in ninth months. What was it?
c. Cuteness Reduction Surgery
d. Ganglion Cyst Removal
3. In 2012, Mike continued to flex his handy-man muscles by:
a. Installing heated floors and custom bookshelves
b. Building a walk-in closet and completing our master bathroom re-do
c. Literally flipping our house by picking it up with his huge biceps and rotating it 200 degrees
d. Installing crown molding in the living room, heated floors in the master bath, and building custom bookshelves in the living room
4. Alexandra has acquired many skills, such as crawling, standing and walking. She's also been practicing for the stage. Her favorite roles include:
a. Princess, mommy, and an acrobat
b. Pirate, dinosaur, and super-villain
c. The Man in the Iron Mask, Lady Macbeth, and Captain Underpants
d. Pirate, princess and snake
5. Mike's ice cream store, Glacier Homemade Ice Cream and Gelato, has now been open 2 ½ years. Some landmarks from this year:
a. Our gelato won the Best of the West
b. Our ice cream is now served in three local pizza stores and can be bought by the scoop in 5 stores
c. We now employ 12 people and served our gelato at the Broadmoor, a five-star resort hotel
d. We created several new local flavors including bison praline, trout chunk and donkey pee
6. The Van Clan went to which locations for vacation this year?
a. Moab, Estes Park, and Buena Vista
b. Texas, Estes Park and Breckenridge
c. Aspen, Moab and Salida
d. Djibouti, Nunavut and Ouagadougou
7. Amber traveled to what fine places for work this year?
a. Toronto, Boston, and St. Catherines
b. Chicago, Niagara Falls, and London
c. Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, and Frogmore
d. Nicaragua, Detroit, and Toronto
8. Alexandra shared her first birthday party with her new cousin from Korea named:
a. Jett Hyeong-Joon
b. Jet Cho
c. Jet Hyeong
d. Jett Stanley
9. In August, Amber engaged in what physical feat?
a. She climbed Longs Peak to raise funds for the International Justice Mission
b. She biked from Copper Mountain to Leadville for Children's Hospital
c. She walked from Palmer Lake to Ice Lake to raise funds for refugees in Thailand
d. She sat on the couch and ate chocolate to raise her blood sugar level
10. This year's most surprising moment with Alexandra was:
a. A giraffe wrapped his tongue around Alexandra's leg and tried to eat her sock.
b. Alexandra perfected her skills as a super-villain, including an evil laugh, an evil look and repeated surprise attacks.
c. Alexandra became an unabashed chocoholic.
d. All of the above
1. a: 750 feet. It was Criz-Azy!
2. d: Ganglion cyst removal; although much to the chagrin of my surgeon and to my discomfort, the (benign) cyst has come back.
3. d: Mike finished our bathroom, built custom bookshelves, and installed crown molding. I haven't posted about the crown molding yet, so this was my trick question to make the quiz harder.
4. b: Pirate, dinosaur, and super-villain are Allie's favorite.
5. b: You can actually get our gelato delivered to your house with a pizza by Marco's pizza! We're also in 5 scoop shops.
7. b: Chicago, Niagara Falls, and London
8. d: Jett Stanley, although I didn't get to post any photos of him since the adoption wasn't final yet.
9. Trick question: c: She walked from Palmer Lake to Ice Lake to raise funds for refugees in Thailand and d: there was much couch sitting and chocolate eating.
10. d: All of the above. She's constantly surprising us.
1 to 4, AWOL: Where've you been, friend? Let's get a peppermint mocha and chat.
5 to 7, Sometimes Sally: Merry Christmas, Sally!
8 to 10, Omnipresent Old Friend: Happy New Year, old friend!