So the world was supposed to end last week. A friend of mine posted her top-ten end-of-the-world list. I am a little late to the game, but I still want to play.
If I could only...
10. Read one last book: I probably wouldn't want to sit around reading. But if I'd have fair warning, I'd sit down with an old friend like Jane Eyre.
9. Watch one last movie: I’d watch the most painfully beautiful movie I've ever seen, La Vita e Bella. But then I'd feel depressed, and I'd watch UHF.
8. Eat one last meal: There would have to be courses. First course: a nice spring salad with roasted beets and pine nuts. Second course: grapefruit broiled with brown sugar and served with berries. Main course: Grilled cheese made with crunchy artisanal white bread with cheddar and muenster. One half would have just cheese. The other half would have bacon and avocado. Dessert: flourless chocolate cake with raspberry compote.
7. Visit one last place: Kauai. I'd sit in the shade on Hideaway's beach and eat a rainbow shave ice at Wishing Well and hike along the spine of the craggy mountains and kayak down quiet rivers.
6. Savor one last poem: I'd read the The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot and go about with my trousers rolled.
5. Experience one last rush: I'd go hot-air ballooning over the colors of New England in the fall. Or maybe I'd go zip-lining in Kauai. Or maybe I'd go hang-gliding in Rio. Depends on how adventurous I'm feeling that day.
4. Smell one last scent: I'd smell the lilacs in springtime in the arbor of Colorado State.
3. Right one last wrong: I can't think of one for this. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing. But I would tell all my family and friends how much I love them and what they mean to me.
2. Feel one last touch: I'd have Allie fall asleep on my chest.
1. Relive one last memory: This one is too hard, so I will change it to "Create one last memory." I'd go on safari in Kenya or Tanzania with Michael, one of my life's dreams.
What about you—what would your final top 10 look like?