Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Windy City

Guess where I am? Chicago! Yay!

I've always hated coming to Chicago, but that's because I only ever flew through the airport and primarily sat for long hours with no internet and no good food, the two things that make me happiest in life. Except my baby. And husband. And God. And all that.

I digress. I'm at Story, a conference for the "Creative Class," which apparently means accordionists and hipsters.

I digress again. I got in yesterday afternoon and I had the coolest drive in to the hotel. My cab driver was a Muslim from Pakistan. (By the way, I'm so tired, I just wrote "My cab driver was a Pakistan from Muslim.") We got to talk about the protests, how Pakistan has changed in the past 20 years and the difference between Islam and Christianity. I even got to share the gospel, in a very stuttery, broken kind of way. It was cool. I also learned so much from Rashid about what he believes. I just love getting to talk to people from other cultures, which doesn't happen so much, being the crazy shut-in that I am. 

My hotel is a bright blueberry of a place. Really. There's blueberry wallpaper and lime colored curtains. Very exuberant for the hipster "creative class."

I went with my coworkers to get deep dish pizza for dinner last night...I can't say I liked the pizza.But the menfolk did.

Today we went to the conference and I got butterflies in my stomach every five minutes worrying about my poor abandoned baby. (Turns out, she's doing just fine and hasn't been enrolled in psychotherapy just yet.)

For dinner we wandered down to the magnificent mile, which is famous for its shopping. I'm not big into shopping, and this was all yer high-falutin' stores, like Hermes and Vera Wang, so I can't say I was much interested. We wandered and wandered but couldn't find an affordable restaurant that wasn't busy, so we ended up at California Pizza Kitchen. I felt a little guilty, eating CPK in Chicago...but honestly a California salad is more up my alley than a Chicago deep dish pizza.

And that's all I have to say about that. Good night!

2 comments:

Tara said...

It sounds like a lot of fun! I love that you had CA Pizza Kitchen there. That is like going to Hawaii and eating at Chili's:)

I'm glad you are having a great time!

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten that you were going to be in Chicago. Sounds like you are having a great time. See you when you get back.
Aubergine