Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Marathon Walk


At work, I get to interview and write stories about some inspiring people. The most recent is a woman who is going to swim across Lake Ontario this summer (45 kilometers) to help raise money for Kaitlin's Legacy, the young woman who donated her children's wish to bring clean water to children in Africa. I got to thinking, "Hey, why can't I do something like that?" So after thinking it over, I've decided I'm going to....drumroll....Walk a marathon to raise money for Highly Vulnerable Children.

I'm not really sure yet about all the logistics, but I'm going to walk from Palmer Lake to Downtown Colorado Springs sometime in June or July this summer. (From the lake in Palmer Lake to the Pioneer Museum in Colorado Springs is 26.2 miles. Who knew?!) The entire way will be on my favorite - the Santa Fe Trail - so it will be a nice little sojourn.

I decided to try to raise funds for this particular fund because it helps the neediest children that Compassion serves. Much of the time they are orphans or children abandoned by their parents who have nowhere to go but the streets. Compassion helps put them with a foster family, helps their caregivers learn ways to earn an income, and offers counseling to those who have gone through trauma. The stories I work on for this fund are always amazing.

I decided on walking a marathon because I love walking/hiking (and hate running) and wanted something that would be a real challenge, while allowing me to bring Allie. So I've officially started training! My goal is to walk/hike for 1-2 hours 4 times a week. I'm going to record my walks here to give me some accountability and motivation to get outside even when I feel like sitting on my duff. (My ulterior motive isn't philanthropic, but my desire to get my duff back in shape. Though I'm nearly back to my pre-pregnancy weight, things seem to have...rearranged themselves.)

So stay tuned. And let me know if you're interested in walking with me!

P.S. That picture is what I'm going to look like by June. Intense walking turns your hair blonde.

1 comment:

Tara said...

This is a great idea!! I would love to walk a portion with you!!!