"Bobservations" is my new slang term for "baby observations" of my little one. She does lots of little things that I'd like to remember, and here a a few of them.
- She likes to flip us off. She flipped us off for the first time on her first day of life, as she rested her middle finger on her face and curled the rest of her fingers. Her middle finger continues to be her favorite finger for pointing, grasping, and resting.
- On a similar note, she is always doing "jazz hands," or what I like to call her magician's hands. Rather than being a very graspy baby, she would far rather flex and curl her fingers in a bedazzling assortment of poses - peace signs, back of the hand to the forehead, thinking hand on chin, etc.
- She does a mean Blue Steel. I would like to catch this on camera, but she does it too fast for me to reach my camera. When she is done eating, she tightly purses her lips as if to say, "you're not getting that thing back in me!" and looks something like this...minus the blue stole.
- She likes to sleep with her arms up over her head. Either straight up over her head, or like this, below. Efforts to swaddle her are in vain, as she'd far rather be able to pose her jazz hands above her head while sleeping.
- She takes after her mom as she is a sweaty baby. Many times at night, we have to uncover her and take her little hat off, as she will be drenched, literally, in sweat. Last night we made the mistake of letting her arms out in a short sleeved onesie while swaddling the rest of her in a warm blanket. The result? A onesie and hat drenched in sweat and little icicle arms. So sad. Will remember to always put her in a sleeper and nothing else from now on.
- She also takes after her mom in her appetite. She likes to eat a lot. On day 10, she was already a pound over what she weighed on day 3. She now has a big chubby chin. While nursing, I used to stroke her chin to get her to keep eating (rather than sleeping), but now a big chubby double chin blocks my finger strokes. My brother-in-law said she looked like ET because of her skinny limbs with skin folds, so perhaps this will make her slightly less extra-terrestrial.
- She is fuzzy like a puppy. I've always wished I could have a little kitten or a little puppy to cuddle, but my allergies prevent me from being anywhere near anything fuzzy and adorable. But my baby was born 2 weeks early, so she still has her lanugo - the little layer of hair that covers babies in the womb. I thought this sounded kind of gross when I read about it, but it turns out it's super cute. She has a little layer of fine hair all over her body that makes her cuddly and soft like a puppy dog.
- She likes to take long walks with her mom and dad. At least, she hasn't told us so per se, but she settles in for a nice nap on each of our daily walks. Here she is at our walk in Garden of the Gods yesterday...(she's the one in the big stroller).