Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Elementary School Dreamin'

A couple of weeks ago, I got to interview the woman whom I thought was the coolest girl for most of elementary school. The coolest girl that I knew in person was my best friend, Susan. I, by luck of geography, got to be best friends with her because I happened to live three doors down from her. She was the pretty blonde with the coolest clothes. How did I know they were the coolest clothes, sheltered child that I was? Because she had the same sweaters as DJ Tanner. Like, the exact same sweaters. Over-sized charcoal grey knit, coming down to about mid-thigh, festooned with fluorescent circles and triangles were DJ's hallmark. Where Susan bought them, I do not know, but her coolness was forever established.

Who is DJ Tanner you ask? Why, she was only the star of the most popular sitcom from the time I was in third to fifth grade. (After that, I became too cool for Full House, I believe.) But for a time, she was my gold standard of girlhood. She, Candace Cameron, was also the sister of my dream guy, Mike Seager on Growing Pains, played by Kirk Cameron. Really, I had a book called "Kirk Cameron: Dream Guy." I only gave it away once I got married and didn't want to make Mike uncomfortable in his presence. Sometimes, such as every day when I see the headline entertainment news, I scoff at the teeny boppers who could possibly like Justin Bieber, that baby. And then I remember: I had posters of Kirk Cameorn in my bedroom. When Susan came over for slumber parties, we would dare each other to get up on a chair and kiss the poster, and we'd blow him kisses before going to bed.

So, it was kind of exciting that I got to interview my old hero and sister of my old flame for work. I maintained my professional, mature attitude the whole time, and didn't even meltdown once saying, "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I loved you!" Now I kind of wish that I had. In any case, here is one of the articles I wrote as a result of that interview, and here's one more.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I am excited that you were able to interview her! The articles you wrote are wonderful. She sounds like she is still a great person!

Anonymous said...

How fun to get to interview a star. Sounds like she is a great person and role model.