Sunday, May 22, 2011

Introducing...

Mike and I decided to commit to a baby name. We really enjoy how his sister Krista lets the family know the name beforehand, so you can refer to him/her by name in utero. It's bonding.

When we first found out I was pregnant and we were still in the freaking out phase, I briefly stopped my freaking out to say, "Hey, wouldn't Alex be a cool name?" Amazingly, Mike didn't say, "I hate that name," as he is wont to do with all other name suggestions. We also both have a penchant for long Greek names, some of our favorites being Diomedes, Persephone, Ariadne, etc. But not being willing to saddle our child with a crippling name, we decided on the lovely and still long and Greek name of:

Alexandra Noel Van Schooneveld


Noel isn't Greek, but it is my middle name, and I've always loved it. Mike is partial to me, so he's OK with passing on my name.

In other news, here is my 21-week preggo photo, taken with my 19-week pregnant friend Sarah. When she got pregnant the first time, I wished that I could be pregnant with her, and now I get to the second time around!


Update: As I sat here, Mike just felt the baby kick for the first time. His eyes bugged out of his head and his voice got really high, like it does when he's incredulous. Very cute. By far my favorite part of pregnancy is watching my husband's reactions.

9 comments:

Tara said...

Aren't you scared someone will steal the name for your baby and then there will be a whole class of Alexandra Noels? Well, I love the name either way!!

Rose said...

I love that name! That used to be my first pick, now it's worked it's way to second, but still, SUCH a great name! (I have a secret love for girls' names that can be shortened to boys' names. I have no idea why!)

sarahbri said...

I love your name choice. Very cute but not too cute. Well done :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute photo of both of you! So fun that you college roommates are are expecting at the same time!
Mom

Teresa said...

Love that name! I was extremely partial to Mamber, but Alex is even better!

Elizabeth M. said...

I tried to comment yesterday but it was erased : ( I love the name Alexandra, and I hope you will consider Ali for a nick-name as well, if only one I get to use. I think it is super fun you get to use your middle name and it goes so well with both first and last names! Way to go!

Steph said...

I absolutely love that name. My cousin just adopted a little girl and named her Alexandra too. I think we even thought about it. And I've always loved Noel too :).

Amber said...

Thanks, everyone!

Candace said...

What a beautiful--dare I say, regal--name! Well done, you two!