Saturday, April 9, 2011

Our Master Redo

The last update I gave on our master bedroom, we had just finished with the ceiling, painting and trim. We had extra pressure to finish up, now that we have to create a baby room, so we finally got it complete (for now). Here is what it used to look like:


Since we were going with a Hawaii/beach theme, we got some beautiful flower photos from Marla, a friend from Kauai. We put an orchid picture up in the corner. I like how having the photo and the new bench makes this corner feel like a whole new spot in the room.


And of course, here's the window seat that we built:


I guess I should also mention that we bought new furniture. Baby Vanny will be using Mike's childhood set that was in the room.


We haven't yet hung this orchid picture of Marla's over the dresser, as Mike isn't sure about the placement, though I like it here.


That conch shell is from my grandma's house (my aunt got it on a trip to Jamaica). The birdhouse is actually what my Christmas present from my parents was wrapped in this year. (They should be professional wrappers.) I still need to find a cheap white pillar candle for it. And the blue/green jar I got with a gift certificate from Pier 1. Hooray for free!

And here is looking in the other direction:


The middle picture is Marla's, and the other two I took on our last trip to Kauai. I love all the bright colors. We still need something above the nightstand, but we don't know what yet. (I'd love to find some wood-carved palm frond or Polynesian oar...But that sounds unlikely and expensive.)

Here's a closer look at the pictures:


Mike and I are both technically in the photos. That's my shadow taking the picture on the left and Mike's hand is barely discernible in the photo on the right.


We got the mirror for $50 at Lowes (instead of $250 at the furniture store!). I found the cute green flower thing in Moab last week for $7 (on top of the obligatory stack of pregnancy books). The pillars are candy dishes we got on clearance at Chef's Catalog a couple of years ago, and I filled them with shells Mike's mom has picked up in Florida over the years.


And that concludes our tour! I hope you have enjoyed this tour of our new bedroom where we can now relax and breathe easy. Whew!

9 comments:

Elizabeth M. said...

Wow, it looks amazing! Quite the island retreat. I love the furniture, bench, pictures and pillows and all the beautiful little details. GOOD JOB!

Anonymous said...

The furniture is like Koa wood-dark. Your pictures are great and that water lily flower on the left is a lotus.
Now you need a scented candle (if Mike can tolerate it) of tuberose to complete the ambience. Looks great. NV

Tara said...

I LOVE IT!!!! Everything has come together perfectly!! I love the pictures and the small accents too!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm on vacation just looking at the beautiful room you have created. What a wonderful retreat right in your own home. Love your photographs!
gb

Diane Bray said...

Looks great, Amber! Like you said, now you can concentrate on the Baby's room. I cannot wait to follow that progress, too.

Brenda said...

Love it, you guys! An idea for above the nightstand...

Have you thought about a hanging wall sconce above the nightstand instead of a table lamp (although I do love the table lamp too)? Like one that attaches to the wall, rounds out from the wall a bit, then droops down with a pretty glass shade? Would go well with the flower theme too, I think. Just a thought! Love it, love it, love it!

Amber said...

That is a good idea, Brenda. I had thought about a candle sconce, but an actual light might be even better (as long as I could deal with a cord going down the wall...). I don't like the lamp where it is, all crowded next to the bed, but it's as far as the cord will reach! Maybe that's a good alternative. Thanks!

Krista said...

I love your room. All your little beach theme decorations and the photos above the bed really make the room "pop" :) It's really beautiful. Great work.

barleygreen said...

Lovely Am! Glad you are getting so much practice. It will make it so much easier for you when you come to redecorate mine.