Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Headboard My Bed

As you may know, my bedroom is in need of an overhaul. Last night Mike said our bedroom depresses him. How depressing. We decided to go with the Hawaiian theme. Not Lilo-and-Stitch-sheets Hawaii; more Hawaii as defined by the Kauai Hyatt spa (minus that naked lady in the tub).

One thing I'm considering for our room is a headboard. We've never had one, but we do read in bed every night, so it could add some inviting coziness to our ritual. I'm El Cheapo, so I would DIY-it, of course. Here are some ideas. What do you think?

A screen (I love screens, but this would depend on finding a cheap screen):
A DIY bamboo screen (made from placemats!). I like the look of this one a lot, but it doesn't look as cozy to lean on.
A painting. This would cost a little more, but that's OK, as I'm budgeting for a big painting. The crux is finding a painting I like (headboard or no). (I don't like the style below, but love the idea behind it.)
A simple DIY upholstered headboard. I'm a big fan of this, as it's not too imposing, but adds a nice cozy touch. I'll just need to buy some poofy pillows!
A mantel. Nevermind. Let's not kid ourselves. I'm too lazy for Martha.

A 3 panel DIY upholstered headboad. I like this style. Though the panels need to be longer to hide behind the bedframe.
OK, what do you think? Which is your favorite? Or, do you say, "Amber, headboards are so 2003. Go with the minimalist wall"?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the padded headboard. Much easier to lean against. For Hawaiian themed fabric, there are lots of places you can find it online. You may even be able to find a bamboo pattern. NV PS-I make throw pillows that could match.

Anonymous said...

I like the padded headboard too.

Amber said...

This discussion is officially a "moo" point, as my small group would say. Mike announced that he wants a real bed frame with a real headboard.

Travis said...

It's like a cow's opinion. Doesn't matter. It's moo.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I like them all and know you will make any of them beautiful in your room. I love the picture one, you could also do the mirror screens like they have in the example and it would make it so fancy!
Sarah s

barleygreen said...

Oh, well good for Michael. For some reason, the padded wall concept was worrying me :)