Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Favorite Things


When the dog bites (or banks don't give me money), when the bee stings (or I've gained several winter-cupcake pounds), when I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad.

My friend Krissy recently did this, so I thought I'd copy her. I also did it two years ago. Let's see if Mike scores higher than tomatoes this year. Here are some of my favorite things.

My husband's ear lobes. They are a fleshy playground of delight. They are 60% longer than your standard ear lobe. I like to sit next to him on the couch and flobble it back and forth with my pinkie finger and make flobbling sounds with my mouth.

Being trapped in a warm home during a blizzard. Right now the wind is swirling and drifting the snow up our front door. The spring before we were married (2003), me, my friend Robin, and Casey's family all got trapped at Mike and Casey's apartment. I think Casey proposed while trapped. Mike and I waded through thigh-deep snow in Roland Moore Park to jump off the tops of swing sets into the snow's welcoming white bosom.

Needing the next size down in a dress. It's been about five years now that I've kept my weight down to where I'd like it to be. My favorite part by far is shopping for new spring dresses and needing the next size down.

That Mike still reads me to sleep every night.

Hearing my parents' voice on the phone, clearly excited to talk to me. This probably means I should call more often. (Love you, parents.)

Moab. Red. Still. Hot. I love sitting on a quiet deck and watching the sun set behind the ridge. I remember a night with my family, eating dinner on the Colorado River, watching the coral light fade into Fisher Towers.

Sweet Potatoes. With butter and cinnamon and marshmallows. Oh, marshmallows, melting into golden goodness.

Singing this song loudly with Mike. As if we're Ewan and Nicole.


2 comments:

Elizabeth Messer said...

You are fun!!

Krissy said...

I love fleshy earlobes too!!! It's really one of my most favorite things and I've passed that love on to my children who will sometimes ask random people if they can squish their earlobes!!! I knew I loved you for a reason.