Tuesday, March 16, 2010

2010 Courage Classic

It's that time of year again, in the spring when kings go off to war and girls try to look good in swimsuits. (Did I mention I get to go to a beach one day in the Philippines? Kind of giddy about that.) I considered a variety of health goals to motivate myself, but I have decided, knee tendons allowing, to do the Courage Classic for Denver's Children's Hospital. (By the way, do knees have tendons?)

It's a 155-mile, 3-day bike ride through the mountains of Summit County. It's no joke. And you know, "cyclists" (not bikers, don't ever call them bikers I've learned) are some scary dudes. With their little skinny road bike tires and shaved calves the size of hams and their spandex outfits. They're intimidating.

Compassion has a team that rides in it every year. A team of men, that is (replete with their skinny tires and shaved ham calves and spandex outfits). So a couple of women have agreed to try it out too this year. I'm pretty excited. One woman estimated we need to go 70 miles a week to train. Say what?

I'm taking it one step...wheel rotation at a time. So in the coming weeks as the glacier finally melts from our front yard and the temperatures finally rise, we'll be out there cruising up the hills of our neighborhood.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Amber - that sounds fun! Maybe I'll sign up for it too!!!

Amber said...

Jen, that would be incredible!!

Krista said...

Way to represent our gender, Amber! I hope you beat some of those boy bikers! Do you own a road bike?

Amber said...

Hey Krista! No, I don't own a road bike. I think I'm going to try it the tough way, with a mountain bike. I'm also not hoping so much to beat the men as to just live through it. :)

Becky said...

Who are the suckers ... I mean friends you talked into it?

Amber said...

Becky, Amy M, Maryln B and Regina are doing it. Then Becca and Krissy and Leanna are thinking of it.

Tara said...

This sounds amazing! You inspire me to get back on my bike too!!

blissfullykrissy said...

Okay, i'm getting excited thinking about training with you! woo hoo!!!