In a bout of mad energy, Mike began the transformation. First he added all the trim, which you can see below. We added pieces to the top and bottom, then a line of scrolly trim between each cabinet to cover the seams. (We've never seen this done; we just made it up, so we're hoping for the best.) Then we also added my little flowerly thing-a-ma-bobs under the sink. Mike wasn't sure about these, but the old saying does go, "More is more."
Then it was time to paint. Finally. I was seriously getting an indecision ulcer with all the back and forth about colors and style. (Paint or stain; cherry or white; antique or sleek.) On the morning of painting, Mike actually started rethinking our paint color, so I quickly left for work to save my embattled stomach. He ended up mixing the two paint colors we were waffling between, the tricksy little hobbit.
Then, in a fit of madness last night, Mike tore up our countertops and ripped out the kitchen sink. (Actually, let me tell you a secret. He gingerly lifted out the kitchen sink, his baby, and asked if he could put it in his office instead of the garage. He wanted his precious someplace safe and near at hand. How cute.) Demo is by far the funnest part of home projects, as you can see from the gleeful look of insanity on Mike's face.
Now we don't have a kitchen sink, which makes life hard. For example, last night I had to lick the peach crumble baking dish clean with my tongue before putting it in the dish washer, because the sink couldn't do it. I don't know how long the countertops and cabinet antiquing will take, so my tongue is going to get a workout.