Thursday, May 7, 2009

To the Top

Mike and I are continuing our afternoon "walks" which are more like killer stair-stepper sessions on the side of a mountain. I'm quite pleased that my plan is working. Because me and the gym have baggage together, my hope has been to simply live life in a way that makes me healthy, not implant artificial sweating on a machine. (No offense to you gym goers; I just have issues.) And living by this mountain seems to be doing it.

While scratching my hamstring last night on the way up, I noticed that it felt somehow different, odd. Then I remember that's what muscles feel like. I'm developing nicely rounded dihpthongs from the mountain. (Linguist joke, name that quote.)

So Mike and I, feeling suddenly like young healthy goats, kept going up and up and up and up. Until human prints ceased. And mountain lion tracks began. (I was carrying my killing rock, and making lots of noise, and had my sweatshirt ready to put over my head and make me look big, mom.)

And finally, after much huffing and puffing and mental curisng, perhaps, we made it to the top. Yes, the top! And saw over the other side. The other side of the mountain was all that we could see. But it was so worth it. We felt so good and goaty, we ran most all the way down. Goodbye knee cartilege!

7 comments:

sarahbri said...

Oscar.
Good one!

Amber said...

I'm proud of you, Sarah.

robinegg said...

i was gonna totally say oscar too...but sarah beat me to it. she's just good at everything.

VANMOM said...

ALL RIGHT! I KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN WANTING TO SEE THE "OTHER SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN" I GUESS IT WAS ALL YOU COULD SEE. SEND IN THE HELICOPTERS.

Tara said...

I taught my second graders about mountain lions stalking you when you walk (we were studying National Parks today, so the books brought it up). I am glad you made it to the top, but don't let the mountain lions make you their dinner. I would hate to be watching the next installment of Planet Earth to see mountain lions pulling their newest kill to their dens only to find out that it was my dear sister Amber. Oh, how I loved her. . .

Elizabeth Messer said...

Great story, but I want a picture of your mountain top adventure! I went on my own walk in my "woods" today and it was all full of blossoms and beauty, it was amazing :) I felt it was God's gift, just to me!

Michael Jonathan Van Schooneveld said...

Sadly, we didn't bring a camera. Amazing view of the area from up there though, since the land drops off so steeply. You, Liz, live in a place where they have plants and humidity, which is kinda cool, especially in the spring. I can't be certain how far we went in distance, but according to Google Earth, our altitude gain was 1450.13 feet.