Monday, May 11, 2009

Demo Babe

We've been continuing to work on the house. Mike has laid 5 tiles today with much trepidation. I, on the other hand, have done some demo, which I am very proud of. I cut the carpet and carpet pad out in front of the back door, where we're going to lay tile. Something so satisfying about cutting and ripping.

Then I ripped out the wood in front of the front door, where we're laying slate, with a cold chisel and a hammer. Yeah, I'm pretty cool. All I need is a tool belt and a boob job, and I'll be just like the lady carpenters on Extreme Home Makeover.

The only problem is that with each plank I ripped up, a fresh waft of something funktified drifted up to my nose. I told Mike, but he thought I was crazy. I told a neighbor who had dropped by, but he also couldn't smell it. Then I worried it was just the neighbor's feet I was smelling.

But after about 30 minutes, our home was definitely permeated with the aroma from the underlaying floor. At first I thought, "swamp." Then dog pee. Then dog booty. Then the feet of this guy I went to college with. Then vomit. (Since the flooding of our front room, in which our home smelled like a dead wet dog, we've gotten quite adept at pinpointing smells.) Once Mike finally was convinced it did smell, he took a big whiff and identified it as, "salsa in which the main ingredient is poop." Awesome.

5 comments:

aubergine said...

I'm still laughing, but seriously that's terrible :) . . .
snicker

Tara said...

Wow, maybe you could market that. . .

On a serious note, I am thinking you need to seriously reclean your carpets and use a solution to combat doggie smells. Let me know if you want advice on brands.

Elizabeth Messer said...

Ew! Horrific. I could totally smell it as I read. I'm feeling nauseaus....gross, but entertaining.

I owe you guys a phone call. I called, told Mike I'd call back in a minute....and never did. What a wierdo I am!

Becky said...

That last line is hilarious.

Amber said...

Tara, we're actually going to take out the carpet on the first floor, we've decided. All the flooding helped seal our decision. Next I'll have to post the wood colors we're considering and hold another vote!