Monday, February 16, 2009

V-Day Re-View

Mikey and I spent Valentine's weekend in Estes. We drove up Friday night and made the obligatory stop in Longmont for a Glacier ice cream binge.

Saturday, we got out early to begin snowshoeing. We snowshoed to Nymph Lake, Dream Lake, and Emerald Lake. The weather was all over the place. It was sometimes sunny, sometimes windy, sometimes snowing; but always freezing. By the time we got to Dream Lake, it was quite snowy and freezing. This is Mikey standing on Dream Lake. Crossing this lake was like crossing a huge wind tunnel. My face had been blown off by the time we reached the other side of it.
We kept on our way up to Emerlad, and the weather was pretty vicious by the time we got there. It was gorgeous, but it was hard to even look at with the freezing blowing snow. You can just barely see some skiers on their way down the glacier in the picture below.
That night, we went back to our cabin and were surprised by a visit from Casey and Robin. So we spent the evening with them, a casserole, and an apple pie. The next morning was clear and beautiful, though so windy, you could barely stand up. It was too windy for wimps like us to snowshoe, so we just slid around on Sprague Lake like seals. I did some mad slide moves myself, but I was too fast for Mike to catch on camera.
Then we drove home after the second obligatory stop at Glacier ice cream in Longmont. In the Springs, we stopped by the home we're considering buying. Here it is, the one in the middle. It backs onto nothingness, which is why I like it. It's 2 minutes to Mount Blodget, 2 minutes to Ute Valley Park, and 5 minutes to Garden of the Gods.
We took a hike from the trails that start at its backyard. You can see from the picture below how close it is to good hiking. You can also see that patterns on the back pockets of jeans are almost always a bad idea.

We hiked for about an hour and just got deeper and deeper into the forest. Love it. If I lived here, I'd be the fittest person around and would need knee replacements at 40.

7 comments:

Michael Jonathan Van Schooneveld said...

I gotta disagree about the patterns on the jean pockets thing. Those things are awesome!

Carmen said...

I had to make the picture bigger just to see the patterns on your jeans...so I wouldn't sweat it too much (especially because denim is no fun to sweat in). Looks like you guys had a lot of fun in Estes!

Amber said...

You're right. I didn't remember how small the photo would be. Now, by making that comment, I in fact ensured that a larger percentage of people will be viewing my butt.

Michael Jonathan Van Schooneveld said...

Sprague Lake in winter is nature's Slip & Slide. Too bad the blowing ice crystals scoured my face off. I had to order a replacement. And they mixed things up and gave me Kevin Bacon's nose. It's fine for now and I can get my meals comped, but I'm looking forward to getting the old Christopher Lee nose back.

robinegg said...

i looked at your butt.
i also enjoyed dinner and pie with you and mike!

Elizabeth Messer said...

Ugh. Blerg. AMBER! I want your life!

Amber said...

Aw, Liz--move to the Springs and live in our basement, and you can!