Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Story of a Boy and a Girl: The End

Here comes the mushy parts...

Chapter 4: The Summer of Dreams
Although our night in the woods had certainly bonded Michael and me, I still was not ready to date. Some in our church had a strict taboo against dating. One was supposed to simply pray hard enough until a man proposed, without ever actually going on a date together. This hadn't exactly worked out for me, but I still had the guilt of legalism keeping me from dating. But Michael persisted in pursuing me, and I got over it.

Although I was leaving for Amsterdam in three months, I agreed to start dating Michael...just to see. I figured I better find out if this was the man I should marry before I left indefinitely. He knew that he had a very short amount of time to win me over before I left forever, so he packed the summer with outrageous fun every day. One day we would hike in a beautiful forest, another day we would raft down the Poudre in a very insufficient raft we bought at Walmart, our bottoms bouncing up and down on the river rocks.

By the end of the summer, he knew he wanted to marry me and I him.

Chapter 5: Amsterdam
But I had already committed to go to Amsterdam, and I went. He waved me off at the airport, sure he'd never see me again. I had dreamed for years of living in Europe. It was my long passion to be a missionary to Europe, where church seemed to be long dead. I was miserable.
The Netherlands is beautiful and I was studying literature at a medeival university and being a part of something I believed in, but I knew I'd rather be cleaning toilets in America with Michael than pursuing even the best of dreams without him.

So, after six months of loving the European life but missing Michael horrendously, and after many a raised eyebrow, I decided to return home. My favorite memory is a man in the church who, upon hearing of my departure, said, "But aren't you worried everyone will judge you for leaving?" Well said.

Chapter 6: Happily Ever After
I returned home at Christmas and visited Michael at his parents' in Sterling.
We went to chimney canyons, a little known canyon outside of Sterling. We stood on the broad flat plains of Sterling and looked across the canyons, their walls pink and orange like sherbet in the sunset. We decided to be married that summer, in July.

And so it was.

And so we are, happily married. Never dull, sometimes hard, but always precious.


Thank you for reading our story and commenting, it has reminded me of such good memories with friends! This is the beginning of our story...


17 comments:

Mike said...

Always fun to be the corrupter. Yes, I tore Amber away from her dreams and her chances of marrying a handsome Dutch man. But that's what I'm good at. Nothing like Chimney Canyons to soften a girl's heart. That Christmas visit was also my 21st birthday. Ah, to be a young boy toy again...

Solitare said...

Amber, I loved reading Mike and your story! Thanks for sharing! I am greatly entertained and encouraged by your blog, you do a great job and are a wonderful story teller; all the while interjecting how God is working...

Jon The Hart said...

Mike...you ARE a handsome Dutch man. I mean, dutch enough.

This part of the story is brief, but good.

Your story makes me happy, and I count it as an honor to have been around as it unfolded. It also taught me an important lesson about international long distance rates....

Amber said...

Aw, thanks Solitaire. :)

Mike said...

Man I was broke then from those phone calls. And what weird hours I kept. And I found out just how long ground mail to Europe takes.

Becky said...

"... but I knew I'd rather be cleaning toilets in America with Michael than pursuing even the best of dreams without him."

Awwwww. That is so romantic! Seriously.

sarahbri said...

I can't believe you didn't make any reference regarding the picture its subject matter (which I will not state explicitly so as to keep Amber from blushing)!! Argh.

Amber said...

Sarah, I very specifically didn't comment on it, anticipating that you would. I'm very disappointed.

Jen said...

Oh oh...can I 'innocently' throw a comment out about the dragon!

Amber said...

Jen, you can say anything. You're the golden girl.

Kelly said...

I love this story. You forgot the part about how I predicted you two would get married from the very start (like after you first met). I'm always right, Ambular. Haha...just kidding. Now...if you would only call me back. I really do want to catch up with you after all these years. xoxo.

oriental said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
oriental said...

Thanks for sharing your story Amber. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Sumana

Amber said...

You're right, Kelly. I remember you saying, "watch out for him, I think he's going to fall in love with you," or something. Which is pretty impressive, because it was 2 years before he knew it.
I'm sorry I haven't called yet. I will! I will!

Naomi said...

oh so fun to read the lovely tale of Amber and Mike... I agree with Jon that you are that 'handsome Dutch man' that Amber always wanted to marry... and really there are plenty of us single ladies still waiting to find that man here and nothin's happening : )

I remember those long, expensive phone calls... Amber would be locked away in her room for hours, talking and talking... we would always wonder when it would be time for her to come out and play!

sarahbri said...

And now you shamelessly pet Mike's dragon right there for all of us to see. Lovely ending to a lovely story.

Amber said...

Nice Sarah. I like how you waited several days before getting up the chutzpah.