Monday, October 13, 2008

The Story of a Boy and a Girl, Chapter 1

A friend recently asked to hear Michael and my story. Because I love to tell it, I thought I'd write it. It's ridiculously long, but I couldn't bear to cut any, so I've divided it into chapters.

Chapter 1: The Proposal
I went to college at Colorado State where two girls from the Colorado cow-town of Sterling changed my life.

I lived in Newsom Hall, where I met Krista and Sarah, roommates from Sterling who went to the same church I did. Sarah was the dry, ironic one that every good sitcom needs. Krista was the sunny one who would ask you everything about your life, and tell you everything about hers. She told me about her dad and her mom and her litttle brother, Michael. I saw them on occasion, and they were nice. But as I was 4 years older than "little" Michael and, at the time, literally double his weight (not because I was so large, but because he was so small), I thought little of him.

Four years later, he came to Colorado State and joined our church. The church went on a retreat to the mountains, a cold October weekend in Winter Park. Sarah was my roommate by then and the wry, dry Sarah and the sardonic Michael were naturally friends. He jokingly asked her to help him find a wife at the retreat.

Sitting by a warm fire in cushy leather couches, Sarah said, "Why don't you propose to Amber? She's nice." Never having formally met me, Mike slid over to me on the couch, and said "Hi, I'm Michael. Can I borrow your ring?" I handed him my ring, and he slid down to one knee in front of the fire and proposed. I, being a sporting gal, said yes.

to be continued...

10 comments:

Tara said...

I don't think I have heard this story before! Very cute!

Mike said...

Funny thing is, Amber wasn't the first girl I'd proposed to. I once set a record at summer camp for asking girls to marry me. Funny thing is, no one ever said yes. So I was quite surprised when Amber said yes. I could tell she was a special girl right from the get-go.

sarahbri said...

I love the spin you're putting on me, Amber. You make me sound like Chandler. I love the story of you guys, so even though I was there for it, and I've heard it a lot, I'm excited to read it again! I love you guys.

Amber said...

Well, I knew you had to have a starring role. And you are kind of like Chandler, come to think of it.

Travis Swan said...

I'd like to add my $0.02 that I was present at said proposal. I recall personally exerting some pressure on Mike toward proposing, and admit to deriving much enjoyment in the process.

Amber said...

Duly noted, Travis.

As a tribute to the Swans ultimate contribution to our marriage, you will receive our first child.

Jon The Hart said...

I miss Thursday night tv.

1. Get everyone to move back to Ft. Collins.

2. Have Thursday night tv.

3. Profit.

Amber said...

I know! Thursday night TV and Old Chicago $2 pizza at 10. Mmm...the old days...

Mike said...

I knew the bit about Travis being there would come up. I even thought about mentioning it, but I didn't, and I was remiss. Travis was egging me on. He seemed to get a kick out of seeing me do amusing and sometimes unusual things back in those days when we lived in Corbett.

Travis Swan said...

I don't want your first child. It is a well known fact that Mike Van's progeny will one day rule the world, in a very non-benevolent manner - I will not be privy to such things.

Just have Mike do his anemone act one more time and we'll call it good.