Monday, September 15, 2008

Weekend Away

Like the jet setters we are, Mike and I took off this weekend to Breckenridge. The purpose was for me/us to get away, reevaluate our lives, de-strees, etc. etc. Last week (and the last several months) I keep forgetting to breathe. That's what I do (or don't do) when I'm stressed. Very foolish. So this weekend was to see if I can't start breathing again.

I breathe best in the mountains, my true home. We did various of my favorite things: Ate gooey crepes at Crepes a la Cart. Read lots. Biked from Frisco to Dillon. Sat silently at the Dillon Marina. Hiked to the top of a huge mountain with a huge view. Bought a huge pretzel and our favorite bread (lemon mint white chocolate) from our favorite bakery (Styria) at Oktoberfest.
I/we also reflected a lot on where we are and where we are going. It's been a rough couple of years. Here are some verses from Isaiah 40 that comforted me:

Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, "My way is hidden from the LORD; my cause is disregarded by my God"? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

I notice that it doesn't say that I don't have to walk or run anymore, though that sounds nice. But my strength will be renewed if I hope in the Lord. The Lord is everlasting, and doesn't grow weary and forget our cause. But no one, including us, can fathom why he does or does not do certain things.

We read about Joseph. A man who probably felt very forgotten, living years wrongly imprisoned. But God hadn't forgotten him; he just had bigger plans for him. Neither Mike nor I are nearly as wise or godly as Joseph, but we do take a bit of heart that we never know what God has planned. We simply have to wait, take heart, and have faith.

We can know that we aren't forgotten and when we hope in the Lord, we will soar.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I missed you today! Come back please.