Thursday, September 25, 2008

Octoberation

I wanted to ask if you would join me in Operation October, or Octoberation, as I like to call it.

These last several weeks, I've felt challenged to pray with faith for Mike's job situation. I'm going to pray that he'll get a job in October. Will you join me? He's applied for about 2,074 jobs in the past several weeks, so there's plenty to work with.

A friend asked if God had "given" me this date of October, like a word dropped into my head. No. But I have felt the challenge to have faith and pray in faith. I'm a skeptic in my core, which is why I am an editor and not a marketing copywriter. My strength is questioning, not believing.

But several Scripture passages have come to mind lately: Luke 11 tells of an annoyingly persistent neighbor who came a' banging on the door at midnight for bread, who got what he wanted because of his boldness in asking. Jesus concludes, "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Luke 18 tells of a widow who refuses to take no for an answer from a judge, and keeps pestering him until he gives her justice. "And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night?" Now this is talking about justice, not a job, but the purpose of the parable is "to show them that they should always pray and not give up."

The term used for "give up" could also be translated "turn coward," "lose heart," or "faint." I have certainly been turning the coward, far too afraid and faint of heart anymore to believe God for any good thing. But I'd rather be the persistent widow than the coward. So this is me trying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rocktober is also an option.

sarahbri said...

I'm in! And I have to say, your faith the Word lately has inspired me.

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Mike and for you and for the right job to open up for Mike in October.

Parents

Amber said...

Thanks, guys.