Tuesday, September 9, 2008

September Melancholy

The chill on my tensed knuckles driving in this morning, the low September fog, and Coldplay with violins put me in a deep melancholy.

Each September, Colorado sends out a warning blast of cold, reminding you she's still in charge and your time of yellow skies and blue nights is coming to an end. Her chill is an icy finger slap to the face, reminding you of lost high school pep rallies, knee socks, and displaced dreams.

So since my friend Chris Martin conspired with Nature this morning against summer sunflowers and cheer, I'm going to have to ride out the storm with him. He's fuel, but also good medicine, for the melancholy soul.


What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

~Langston Hughes

2 comments:

Jon The Hart said...

If dreams are anything like hope, then when they are dashed upon the jagged rocks far below the reach of the lighthouse's beam, they give birth to three things, pixies, starfish and despair.

When a pixies' dreams are dashed upon the rocky shore called 'reality' they turn into mosquitos and sometimes Godzillas.


It's interesting, Fall is high up on my top 5 seasons in Colorado. I see the blast of cool as a ray of hope, something that lets me know the summer heat is losing its grip on the world. As if to say 'chin up, it'll be over soon' the cool spell is a pat on the back for a summer survived.

Also, this past week has been the first time I've gotten to use my comforter since spring, no more lying on top of the sheets thanking God for box fans, now is the time of year when I finally get to crawl in under them and pull up my comforter... mmm yes, I think I'll do so right this moment!

Oh, almost forgot, this comic came to mind while watching the Coldplay vid.... http://xkcd.com/56/

Amber said...

For the record, I adore fall more than any other time of year. Us melancholies love to be miserable. Today, I'm even wearing my Wednesday Addam's black funeral parlor dress in celebration.

Pixies, starfish, and despair? That made my day.