Despite all the upheavals and changes in all of our lives the last six years, they've remained these loyal rocks. I think it's because they're engineers, not flighty English majors. So this post is dedicated to them, my ying and my yang. Here are just a couple of the buckets of reasons I love them.
- One is light, and one is dark (in more way than one). One is bubbly, and one is candid. They bring balance to my life, like my chi. (I don't know what chi is, so I'm gambling that you don't either and will credit my use of the word to my brilliance, not my ignorance.)
- They wear sweater vests, and they think this is cool. One time, one of them saw the other wearing a sweater vest, and judged this as the green light that these were still permissible in places other than country clubs. They feed on one another's sweater-vest wearing to justify their own Eddie Bauer wardrobe. They are active sweater-vest proselytizers, trying to win others, such as myself, to their cause. (If it makes you two feel better, I saw a 45-year-old mega-church pastor from Florida wearing a pastel pink sweater vest this week.)
- Very often, we like people for why they like us. Sarah likes me because when I first moved in with her, I told her I was "kind of a ho." She has loved me ever since. I, therefore, have loved her ever since. (Important note to those unfamiliar with our jivin' street talk: I am not a prostitute, nor have I ever slept around.)
- Jen quite often innocently says movie quotes that are (unbeknownst to her) quite dirty, or says phrases in all innocence that come off all wrong. (I'm thinking "Hands Solo," "Let's go all the way," etc. etc.)
- They're both super-duper smarty pants. (Engineers, you know.)
- Sarah loves wine, and Jen loves beer. That's cute.
- Jen could watch Zoolander over and over and over and never bore of it, and she owns every Disney movie ever made, even the heinous ones.
- For my 30th birthday, they wrote their top 30 reasons why they love me. This isn't why I love them, but it sure doesn't hurt.
- They both are independent thinkers. This means that Jen made the very brave decision to move to a church that was better choice for her, and means that Sarah is a pastor's wife who defies all conventions.
- Sarah is a pastor's wife, but you'd never know it (not that there's anything wrong with those types). She's so cool that she's started her own 'fish dialect and gotten others, like me, to speak it like her lemmings.
- Jen's been everywhere, and says things like, "Well, I know when I was in Spain..." She's also the prettiest person I've seen up-close.
But mainly they're both extremely loving, candid, fun, interesting, stimulating, fabuloso people. I'm lucky that either of them ever even talks to me.
I love you two!