As I've been sending so much negative energy into the universe lately through my blog (good thing I don't believe in karma), and as Tara requested more Top Ten Lists, and as they're the lazy writer's crutch (read: Amber), I'll be writing my top ten favorite things today, something which my sneering husband says is totally lame, but deep down he loves it very much.
1. Silence. The outdoor, middle-of-nowhere, solitude kind. No highway hum or distant overheard airplane. The kind of silence and wildness that make you alert to how alive yet peaceful yet surprising this world is, eternally existing and humming whether we notice it or not.
2. Tomatoes. Once or twice a summer I taste a tomato that's so sweet, so sublime, so transcendent that I'd like to spout Pablo Neruda...Soft as lascivious velvet, spiral-seashelled and full of wonder, amorous, marine...
3. Clothes. I have a recurring dream: I realize that I bought all these clothes and forgot about them. I open up my closet and take each piece out--trying it on, planning when I'm going to where it. I love that dream, but I hate waking up.
4. Michael Jonathan Van Schooneveld. I won't sicken you with the details.
5. Blue Satin Sashes and Warm Woolen Mittens. Not really, I just had to say that.
6. Donuts. Ah yes, my ambivalent lover, my tease. I'm on the eternal quest for the perfect fatty orb. Crumbly rich divine goodness.
7. Dutch People. Lekker.
8. An Open Road before me winding on seemingly forever. Driving south through New Mexico, knowing that if I wanted, I could just keep driving and driving and driving forever with no destination.
9. Watching People Weigh Themselves on reality TV. I don't know why. I just love it. I love reality TV: About food. About travel. About homes. About losing weight. About trading husbands. About sports. Not about dancing. About models. About chefs. Need I go on?
10. Foreign Things. Anything new and different and exotic and crazy and weird and spicy. The people, the food, the architecture, the language, the clothing. I want to go everywhere and see everything and do everything.